Monday, April 19, 2010

Mah First!: Detroit


Against my better judgment, I'm starting off by apologizing. Sorry for the rambling. >_>

For the life of me, I can't figure out what this blog should be about. It's my first, and I feel like it should be important in some way, but I just don't know what to say. If I don't force myself to start it, I know it will never be done though, so here I am.

I could make this blog about two different things, my recent fascination with Crispin Glover, or Detroit. I think I'll go with Detroit. That seems a little more interesting. SooOoOooo, I watched some sort of documentary on Detroit on Dateline the other day and found that, in summary, the place is a wreck. Respectable person after person has tried to help the city, then hung their head in shame as they walk away from it in the same condition they found it. I can't see how people could simply give up. I wish there was a way I could help, but Michigan isn't exactly down the block from me. It seems silly that of all the people that live there, only a handful of them are actually trying to bring the city back and make their lives better.

When I think about Detroit, it reminds me of how well-off I really am. Of course I'd like some things to be different, but life is good. I'm thinking about reaching out the second half of the summer... maybe volunteering to work in a homeless shelter near my house. The first half of the summer I'll be at the beach working, then at a Conference in D.C. But I'll have nothing to do the second half. Why not? It won't help Detroit, but maybe I saw that show because I was supposed to help people in my community this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment