Thursday, April 29, 2010

#4: I'd Prefer Not To


I just watched a movie called Bartleby. It was about a guy who didn't do anything. In the end, he died of starvation. There's more to it than that, but you can watch it for yourself to find out. Sorry for ruining the ending for you.

I'm going to talk about the phrase "I'd prefer not to" and, at least what I think are, the amazing side notes that go along with it. If we look at Bartleby as simply someone with a mental disability, than none of this applies, but if he were just like you or I, than this guys got some serious self-control.

It's easy to do things and it's hard not to. That's not to say that it's easy to eat icecream and hard to not eat it. That's to say that even with the 'hard' things in life, it's easier to do them. It's harder to cope with failer compared to not. It's easier to let a friendship fall apart compared to not. Ect. What's this have to do with 'I'd prefer not to'? Well, I don't think Bartleby preferred to die. I think he did it for a reason, probably to send the message that Melville wanted to send about him not being successful with Moby Dick. But that's beside the point. Now, the first impression I got from the phrase was that Bartleby could be considered the symbol of a rebel who suffered the consequences. This still may be true, but I think he forced himself to do--and not do, things. This wasn't really a good thing, but it shows us that self-control and discipline can be abused, but more than that, it shows us that we are capable of it.

I constantly am tempted to do things. It drives me crazy when I'm in conflict with myself. Of course I CAN do it, but can I not? That's usually the point that I do whatever it is. My desire to do whatever it is is bigger than my desire not to, but that doesn't mean that I'd prefer to do it. In fact, in most cases I'd prefer not to. This preference stems solely from my conscience.

I know when things are right and wrong.
I know what I should do.
I want to do the wrong thing,
but I'd prefer not to.

I made a rhyme.

No comments:

Post a Comment