Saturday, September 22, 2012

21. Flammable Outliers

What is in an identity? What makes us who we are? Are we born the way we are destined to be, or do people make us? Perhaps a combination of the two? Sometimes people don't fit together so perfectly, however. Their personality and choices seem to be unrelated to influence and genes. They are the outliers. Society is uncomfortable with outliers. 

Are these people good or bad, or just gray? Is there anyway of knowing? Humanists believe that people are inherently good. Even if there are 'bad people', they're just a little gray. I disagree. I can't speak for others, but I can speak for myself. I'm a bad person. I'm not good, I'm not even gray. I'm pitch black. I'm an outlier. I can't blame my genes, I can't blame my circumstances, I've got no disease, I'm just bad. Trust me, God and I alone know just how bad I am. The good part is that I don't need to try to defend the evil. Sin is woven into me. Sin is human nature. The closest to unnatural we can get is God's Spirit. Holiness is against our grain, but some part of us recognizes its goodness and fulfillment. Do you feel like a black-blooded sinner? You should. Maybe you don't see it yet, but you will. You'll find your vice, and you'll try to legitimize it, then you'll know. 

If I were God, I'd start over. I'd dump us little blighters and make a new race in a new existence. I'd let this one burn itself down. It's a good thing I'm not God. I'm not going to preach, 'cause most people know the story. The Messiah is the only source of water on this blood-red earth. We can wash and drink in Him. Our blood still runs thick with tar, but at least we can try to scrub ourselves clean before we catch fire. 

God save us.

No comments:

Post a Comment